Public transporter Intercape has advised all its employees in Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Botswana that due to the COVID-19 lockdown emergency measures, all its employees will not receive a salary for May, June and July 2020, as they are temporarily laid off.
The luxury bus service operator says while it had tried to avoid this situation, it has been left with no option but to lay off.
Affected employees can claim unemployment benefits during this period from their respective government institutions, says the statement which we provide in full below:
NOTICE OF INTENTION TO INTRODUCE A TEMPORARY LAY-OFF
Due to the COVID – 19 lockdown and Intercape not allowed to operate, the employer is considering implementing a Temporary Lay-Off for an estimated period of 3 months (May, June and July 2020). All employees in Intercape BOTSWANA, ZIMBABWE AND MOZAMBIQUE will be affected by this temporary layoff. A consultation meeting between management and employees is not possible due to the COVID –19 lockdowns.
Accordingly, Management would allow the opportunity for each employee to provide their written reaction to this as soon as possible, but no later than 17h00 on 20/04/2020. Should you have any alternative suggestions to avoid the introduction of a Temporary lay -off, we would gladly consider it. All alternative suggestions can be sent in writing to HC.Care@intercape.co.za.
Should a temporary lay-off be introduced the following will apply:
1. The temporary lay-off comes into effect on 01 May 2020.
2. Employees affected will not receive a salary for May, June and July 2020.
3. Employees are allowed to work for other employers during this period and will not transgress their contracts of service should this be done.
4. Employees are allowed to claim unemployment benefits during this period from their respective government institutions.
5. The temporary lay-off is proposed until 31 July 2020 and should the need arise to extend, cancel or shorten the period, management will contact the affected employees.
6. Employees must return to work on 03 August 2020. [zimeye.net]