Site icon The Patriot On Sunday

Magosi unshaken!

‘I have mandate to fulfill’ – Magosi

BAKANG TIRO

editors@thepatriot.co.bw

Director General of the Directorate of Intelligence and Security Services (DIS), Peter Magosi has denied that he is under pressure as he retires in October, saying he is open to engage with the Permanent Secretary to the President (PSP), Matshidiso Bokole over the P100 billion issue.

Magosi is confident that his tenure in office was clean, despite the Directorate on Corruption and Economic Crime (DCEC) following up cases reported against him. In an interview on Thursday, Magosi confirmed that he is ready to engage the PSP without hesitation. “PSP is the most senior government official responsible for ensuring the smooth running of day-to-day business. Therefore, I am subject to her summoning me to respond to any administrative issues regarding my day-to-day work,” said Magosi.

He explained that he has a mandate to fulfill, and he is not under any pressure as he goes into retirement, adding that all he is focusing on is to complete his assignment. Regarding investigations against him, Magosi said the DCEC is guided by an Act of Parliament and he too, as a civil servant, can be subjected to any investigations. “I’m repeating the same today that they should do their work. I however want to reserve my comment regarding whether I see malice or not,” he said.

Last week, DCEC Director General Botlhale Makgekgenene told the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) that two cases against Magosi are almost complete and are ready for the next stage of the legal process.

Magosi summons  

Magosi and the DIS dealings have been under spotlight following his appearance before the Public PAC of Parliament recently, where he announced his retirement in October. Appearing before the PAC on Thursday, Bokole said she will summon Magosi and engage over him over his insistence that the P100 billion saga remains live to pursue, despite DCEC dismissing it as unrealistic. Bokole noted that the matter is a thorn on government’s flesh and must be put to finality, adding that the meeting with Magosi will reconcile positions provided by both DPP and DCEC on the issue. The PAC demanded that Bokole furnish them with details of her meeting with Magosi.

Last week, Makgekgenene had informed the PAC that the P100 billion case is dead and so warrants no further or fresh criminal investigations against those that were implicated on it.

Former President Ian Khama, DIS employee Wilhemina Maswabi and South African businesswoman Bridgette Motsepe were accused of siphoning P100 billion from the Bank of Botswana (BoB)’s coffers. Botswana government was later ordered to apologise to Ambassador Motsepe.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Exit mobile version